COVID -19 Update
The situation on COVID-19 remains fluid and complex, regarding both activity on the water and in the Clubhouse, with the rules and their various interpretations changing as recently as the last few days. Your Flag Officers are endeavouring to find a route to a new normal that is both safe and economically sound.
Our new manager, Duncan Weeks, is working hard to assist the Flag Officers and we continue to be indebted to our dedicated staff for their hard work in trying circumstances. Your support as members continues to be invaluable to us as Flag Officers and we appreciate your patience as we all find our way through.
Social sailing – we are continuing to support members and this weekend will be arranging for two patrol boats to be on the water for three hours either side of High Water – please look out for them and call for assistance if needed, observing requests of the driver if assistance is required.
Club Launch Emma – is working Saturday and Sunday for approx three hours either side of High Water. Precise timing will be published on the website. Necessary COVID protections continue to be required
Club Racing – this has presented some serious issues given our slipway access and the latest legislation. We are working hard on this and hope to have a protocol which will allow racing of designated numbers with advance notice for next weekend. We know that many other Clubs are in a similar position and not yet able to race, despite the hype that abounds.
Training – The Club’s training team with RC Cadets and the Class Captains are getting through the work necessary to allow Club training for groups of below the usual number. This will enable some training to start in the next week or so in order that cadets in particular can make progress
Paddlesports – the Paddlesports group is active again and we are making the Club SUPs available for hire in a similar way as before and Valiant is again making expeditions with suitably adopted procedures and direct bank payments
Terrace Bar – will be operating this weekend per the email sent on Thursday. There is Friday (one session), Saturday (three sessions) and Sunday (three or two sessions if the bookings for a late session are not subscribed we will cancel). Only those booked in, card payments only and table service rather than waiting for drinks to be poured – thanks to the volunteers who are helping us. From Friday 10 July we have the added benefit of the Marquee making a welcome return to the terrace.
Catering – we are working hard to establish proper working protocols for preparing and serving food. We are very keen to have this established (albeit with limited numbers) as soon as possible.
Clubhouse – The building has been thoroughly cleaned, our contractors are finishing their tasks at the front of the building and we expect that a use protocol will allow staff to use the building from the end of July. In the meantime full service is provided remotely.
The Flags realise that for many of our members all this news of life returning to our Club is affected by their concerns about personal vulnerability. We hope that the precautions the Club is applying will help you to overcome those concerns. We recognize there is a lot still to do and that working within the regime necessary to protect us from the virus remains essential.
The Flags recognize and have heard comments from members that compared to other Clubs we are being slow to grab the opportunities to resume activities post lock down. I can assure you that every effort to resume has been made and continues but we are not prepared to cut corners or close a blind eye to risks that might put the Club, the members, the staff or public in jeopardy. We will steadily move to being fully functional and at the same time meeting our obligations.
Thanks again to all of our membership for remaining supportive through this difficult time. The Flags ask that you stay focused using all common sense and the precautions we have put in place so that we avoid suffering or transmitting the virus further.
10 July 2020