2023 Sailing and Training Calendar
Published 10:52 on 4 Jan 2023
The 2023 racing calendar is live on the website. Racing starts on 26th Mar and runs through to 17th Dec. Amongst the highlights we have:
- 80 race days (there were 77 in 2022) with Glad Emma planned to be in use on 56 days (60 in 2022).
- 39 race days have quay line starts (41) and nine race days have starts from the Cobnor line (six).
- There are six cadet Super Sundays plus the usual Optimist racing, cadet trophy events, Junior Regatta and Junior Week.
- We're planning Mirror class starts for the Junior Regatta and Junior Week and hope to see Mirrors out racing in the slow handicap series (parent/child combos welcome) and cadet trophy events.
- The handicap spring and summer series are replaced with new season-long series:
- The relaxed racing series has high tide quay starts with racing in Bosham Channel.
- The harbour racing series has mainly Cobnor starts and races on harbour courses.
- The sprint series will run from Glad Emma on short courses in the main channel.
- The handicap autumn series now runs weekly in Nov and Dec.
- There is an all classes pursuit race on 8th May to mark King Charles' coronation and on August bank holiday Saturday.
- CDBs have their traditional 12 race Saturday series, plus the Trafalgar Cup, Bosham Masters and Regatta.
- Tideways and Scows retain their spring and summer series plus the autumn series for Scows.
Key dates for your diaries:
- 19th-21st May - Bosham Masters (YWDB Open on 21st & 22nd)
- 27th May - Junior Regatta
- 3rd Jun - Feva Open
- 10th-11th - Jun Scow Nationals
- 17th Jun - ILCA/Laser Open
- 24th-25th June - Finn Open
- 1st Jul - Junior Week reunion
- 9th Jul - Topper Open
- 29th-30th July - Tideway National Challenge Meeting
- 5th-11th Aug - Junior Week
- 19th-20th Aug - National 18 Open
- 2nd Sep - BSC Regatta
- 23rd-24th Sep - Classic Boat Revival
- 17th Sep - Optimist Open
The calendar shown on the website the definitive version for racing, so regardless of what is printed in the red book, always check the website before planning your sailing. Start times/locations etc may be changed up to 24 hours before advertised start time. Within 24 hours a start cannot be brought forward, but it may be postponed.
Alongside the sailing calendar, the duty roster is also live. There are over 900 duties to fill and every one helps make the sailing happen safely. As a reminder, as part of your membership, everyone aged 16 to 70 (inclusive) is required to undertake at least one duty each year. If you are a regular racer, we ask that you do at least two duties. Many members do more than this. For 2023 we ask that members sign up for duties by 6th March. We also ask not to sign up for Cadet/Oppie duties unless a cadet parent. For full information on the duty roster, what each duty entails and how to sign up see the 'Duties Guidance and Information' page in the Members Hub here.
The 2023 training calendar is being populated onto the website and is available for members to book here. The training calendar is very fluid and reactive to demand, with waiting lists in operation. So if what you want is fully booked on the dates you want, please book onto the waiting list (no payment required) as this helps us plan for demand. If you don't see the training that you want please contact the sailing manager. Additional training will be added throughout the year.
Last updated 22:02 on 16 January 2023